Use of Washington University in St. Louis names and images for any retail or commercial purpose, for endorsements, promotions and the like requires the written, official permission of the university. Organized here are the resources available to assist faculty, staff and students in using university trademarks in ways that are effective, consistent and compliant with university policies. Completion of an artwork approval request form is required to complete the Get Approval. All logos and artwork are available on our Download Logos & Artwork page. Please refer to the guidelines to make sure that your artwork or logo is approved
Questions? If you require additional help with getting your artwork approved, please contact the Trademark Licensing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General usage guidelines for Washington University in St. Louis’ trademarks and artwork
- The university logo is the preferred artwork in all cases; detailed logo guidelines are available in the official guidebook.
- Every product must display the complete, correct name of the university in one of two forms: Washington University in St. Louis OR Washington U. in St. Louis
- The word “Saint” may never be substituted for the abbreviation “St.”
- The configuration “Wash. U.” may be used, but only in combination with the complete, correct university name.
- The university’s official monogram is the interlocking WUSTL.
- The preferred circular graphic for licensed products is the Brookings Round Graphic.
- Special guidelines apply for Athletics trademarks, School of Medicine products, and Clothing worn by employees while performing university work functions.
- The Trademark Licensing office is available for consultation on a case-by-case basis.
What is the most efficient way to obtain imprinted merchandise?
- Choose your licensed supplier. Contact one to three of the licensed suppliers for Washington University. These suppliers have aligned their businesses with the university’s mission to improve society through teaching and research. Recommendations for special circumstances are available from the director of trademark licensing. Let these suppliers do the hard work.
- Find your design. Review and select the best solution and work with the supplier that presented it to implement your promotion or recognition. Work closely with your chosen supplier to determine a design. The university website offers ready-to-go artwork, as well as guidelines for use.
- Who to ask for help. If you or any supplier that you deal with has questions concerning the licensing program or approval of artwork, please do not hesitate to contact:
Director of Trademark Licensing
Campus Box 1070
Tel. (314) 935-9030
Fax (314) 935-7406